Sunday, August 5, 2012

Olympic Fever

Took a yoga class today that focused on striving towards Olympian work ethic when moving through the poses and balancing the breath, body, and mind, but not being results oriented. Striving and trying are actually good enough; working towards one's full potential. Today I can't do a handstand, but a year from now, perhaps I can get both feet off the ground for 2 seconds. That's something. My goal now is to apply this to other areas of my acting work. The point is, to be in it. To strive for something and not get it is different than just sitting and waiting for the phone to ring. Dallas Travers has helped motivate me to do things I hadn't thought to do before, like write my own Press Release. My local newspaper actually ran one about my work on One Life to Live, but they wouldn't have known if I didn't take the time to do it.

Back to the Olympics, understandably the need for the gold medal comes with $$ of endorsements from P&G. It's sad to see athletes disappointed in themselves when they get the silver or the bronze medal, as if somehow they are bringing shame upon themselves or their country. Carmelita Jeter was such a great example of someone who trained her butt off (and clearly is an extraordinary athlete) and was delighted with her silver. Good for her!! I admire her tenacity and will take a page out of her book.

No comments:

Post a Comment